How's that for a café?
What do Mick Jagger, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, David Bowie, Prince, Robert De Niro, Eminem, Back Street Boys, HM King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden, Britney Spears, Axl Rose, Outcast, Paris Hilton, Mariah Carey, Kevin Costner, Spice Girls, Björn Borg, Metallica, Evander Holyfield, Rocco Sifredi, ABBA, Harrison Ford, Public Enemy, AC/DC, Liam Gallagher, Tiger Woods, Kate Moss, Sylvester Stallone, Keith Richards, HM Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Wayne Gretzky, Yoko Ono, Luciano Pavarotti, Dennis Hopper, Dizzie Gillespie, Destinys Child, Terence Conran, George Soros, Cindy Crawford, Julio Iglesias, Teresa Orlowski, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Oliver Stone, Anna Nicole Smith, Vitali Klitjko, Grace Jones, Naughty By Nature, Victoria Silvstedt, Björk, HM Queen Silvia of Sweden, Mickey Rourke, Richard Attenborough, Robbie Williams, Elton John, Christina Aguilera, Neil Young, Princess Madeleine, Janet Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Michael Schumacher, Will Smith, Prince Carl Philip, Tanya Hansen, U2, Marc Newson, Figo, Samantha Fox, Iron Maiden, Lenny Kravitz and so many more share in common? Well, they're all old guests of Stockholm's world famous/notorius nightclub Café Opera, for one thing. They all used to love it there, as the placed rocked as hard or harder than anything elsewhere and as Stockholm used to be one town where even the brightest of stars could get down and party with the common man (and woman…) without beeing harassed or even bothered. Re-visiting ”The Café” for our forthcoming book/magazine hybrid celebrating Café Opera's 25-year anniversary has proven with no remorse that those days are now long gone. ”The Café” of today is like a scene not from another time but from another age. Barely anything of ”the old Café” has survived. Still, the club is still alive and kicking, while most of its contemporary heavyweights, the likes of Studio 54 in New York and Les Bains Douches in Paris, have faded or succumbed. Surviving a quarter century on the top of nightlife is a feat well worthy of a salute. Keep your eyes open for the book/magazine if you're interested in coming along on a break-neck trip through the Stockholmian night, past and present!
”We used to say that we wanted to create a meeting place for people who ski in the summer and sail in the winter”.
- Anders Gunnarsson, founding chief of Stockholm's Café Opera.
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Recent blog entries
- Mikael Jansson celebrates spring...
Oct 16, 2009
- Can we Swedes pride ourselves of having the world's most bold, daring and sexually liberated state television management?
Sep 30, 2009
- Two walks in the park
Jun 4, 2009
- Beckmans goes luxury
May 18, 2009
- Thirty quick hours at the throat of Milan
May 6, 2009
- At last: back in the Motherland
Mar 29, 2009
- Human vanity in the Omo and Borĺs...
Feb 17, 2009
- The dream of yet another summer...
Feb 9, 2009
- Gone in the wind: a pair of drab Stockholmian fashion days in the midst of minor key mid winter
Jan 29, 2009
- It is sometimes claimed that some models are more than a little sheepish, but in this case we were dealing with a righteous goat
Dec 22, 2008
- Stockholm, November 08
Nov 1, 2008
- Our world from a blogger's perspective
Sep 5, 2008
- Mamma good but Helmer better
Jul 20, 2008
- Give us back our Paradise lost!
Apr 5, 2008
- A weekend of righteous Roman pleasures
Mar 21, 2008
- Speaking about fur, moral inconsequence and hatred of the classes
Feb 21, 2008
- In the local Scandinavian fashion week rat race, we in Stockholm get beaten with a broom by Copenhagen
Feb 11, 2008
- So it has has once again come to its end: the subpolar fashion week of the industriously trend-conscious middle-classes...
Feb 4, 2008
Jan 9, 2008
- Watch that German suit burn, baby
Dec 7, 2007
- At last: a robot for company, comfort and assistance at the dusk of life
Nov 28, 2007
- Our Sandra’s design is indeed fine art
Nov 13, 2007
- Who the hell mentioned the Man in the Moon?
Nov 9, 2007
- Greetings from sunny Cannes
Oct 31, 2007
- Thank you for that show, Helena
Aug 22, 2007
- Forget Volvo, IKEA, ABBA, Borg, Bergman and that kinky ol´ Dalecarlean horse – Inga from Sweden is by far our most powerful global trademark!
Jun 25, 2007
- Shut up and learn from history ye´ goddam kids – the good Doctor flew higher and slammed mightier than LeBron and even MJ!
Jun 16, 2007
- That was some funky brides down at Berns
May 23, 2007
- Noble mingling at the Royal Court Jeweller's
Apr 20, 2007
- Now I want to hear YOUR opinion!
Apr 13, 2007
- What a freaking art scene!
Mar 12, 2007
- Finale in style on our grand Swedish odyssey
Feb 28, 2007
- Swedish fashion fills a larger costume
Feb 27, 2007
- Dan makes a late Stockholm debut
Feb 16, 2007
- Tyler strikes back against shallowness and stupidity
Feb 14, 2007
- Johan's Darling is a killer
Feb 5, 2007
- Are we ready for WWIII?
Jan 31, 2007
- Speaking about America & Hunter S...
Jan 24, 2007
- This nasty child President...
Jan 11, 2007
- Three young men of supreme quality
Dec 8, 2006
- Oh, what a party...
Dec 8, 2006
- Tyler sees the globe through Monocle
Nov 17, 2006
- Pontus is dead – long live his memory!
Nov 14, 2006
- Two wonderful young men of superior quality
Sep 11, 2006
- Joel enters the roaring 40s – hats off for a heavy hitter!
Aug 28, 2006
- God save us from the “ID fetish“! Is it a Swedish thing?
Jun 9, 2006
- Albert Einstein, the fashion icon
May 18, 2006
- Where does our broad public stand?
May 18, 2006
- Auntie Iris hits a hundred
May 15, 2006
- We thought you'd never come!
May 9, 2006
- Go get them, Göran – let them books burn for the good cause of moral purity and spottless political correctness!
Apr 18, 2006
- Next stop Werder Bremen?
Apr 18, 2006
- Springtime is high time for Bollito Misto!
Mar 24, 2006
- Sweet (..?) memories night at PA&Co
Mar 13, 2006
- Trend? Yes. Ambition? You bet. Talent? You got it. Glamour? Well...
Feb 27, 2006
- What a wonderful visual overdose!
Feb 15, 2006
- They say time flies – but does it really?
Dec 19, 2005
- How's that for a café?
Nov 2, 2005
- Autumn time is the right time for gratinated marrow cups
Oct 14, 2005
- Starck promises to off himself – one of these days…
Sep 25, 2005
- Let's blog down...
Sep 13, 2005